History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Higher Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chilton Cantelo, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9976 / 50°59'51"N

Longitude: -2.6139 / 2°36'49"W

OS Eastings: 357018

OS Northings: 122207

OS Grid: ST570222

Mapcode National: GBR MP.KKKV

Mapcode Global: FRA 56DG.ZFK

Entry Name: Higher Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262630

Location: Chilton Cantelo, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chilton Cantelo

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Queen Camel

Listing Text

ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP

4/18 Higher Farmhouse
19.4.61


- II

Farmhouse. Early C18, remodelled in 1826. Local stone cut and squared,
with Ham stone doorways and plaque; Welsh slate roof between coped
gables, stone chimney stacks. "T" plan, 2-storeys; West and North
elevations of 3-bays, the former with a left-hand gable projection.
Central doorway to both facades: that to West front having ionic capped
plain pilasters with no base, and flat entablature, framing a 6-fielded
panel door, top 2 panels glazed; that to North having a simple surround
with flat projecting stone hood on console brackets: sash windows in
plain openings with flat voussoired arches with false keystones, having
12-panes each on West and 16-panes each on North. One storey lean-to
East of the North side, and on South, against the road, a lower 2-storey
portion of C18; random stone with plain clay tile roof over 2 base
courses stone slates; timber-framed windows, some with central iron
bars; an old leaded window here and also in rear wall of main house;
part of this wing still used for cider making. In hall "Bromes Head", a
skull recorded by Collinson 1791, which has defied many attempts at
burial. Part of the former Manor of Chilton Cantelo until 1958/59:
presumably remodelled by John Old Goodford, Squire and High Sherriff of
Somerset in 1816, died 1835. The date 1826 appears in a plaque over West
entrance.


Listing NGR: ST5701822207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.