History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weir on River Skell Approximately 10 Metres East of the Infirmary at Fountains Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1099 / 54°6'35"N

Longitude: -1.5789 / 1°34'43"W

OS Eastings: 427629

OS Northings: 468304

OS Grid: SE276683

Mapcode National: GBR KNDX.ZG

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.QYCN

Entry Name: Weir on River Skell Approximately 10 Metres East of the Infirmary at Fountains Abbey

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296240

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331041

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SE 2768 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY FOUNTAINS LANE
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS (east side, off)

9/39 Weir on River Skell
approximately 10 metres
east of the Infirmary at
Fountains Abbey


GV II


Weir. Probably medieval, for the monks of Fountains Abbey and possibly
rebuilt after 1768 for William Aislabie. Gritstone. Approximately one
metre high and 4 metres wide. Sloping ramp of coursed stones, overhanging
coping of massive blocks. Sluice on river banks upstream. The north bank
of the river, to east of the abbey church, was taken up by the monks' burial
ground and the river was channelled under the hall and kitchens of the
infirmary. These buildings are thought to have been robbed during the
construction of Fountains Hall c1611 (qv) and William Aislabie built a folly
near to the channel outlet after 1768 (Walker). The control of the water
level at this weir has therefore been important throughout the history of
occupation in the valley. R Gilyard-Beer, Fountains Abbey, 1970, p 74.
W T C Walker, personal communication.


Listing NGR: SE2762868307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.