History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Topham's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Conistone with Kilnsey, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1031 / 54°6'11"N

Longitude: -2.0309 / 2°1'51"W

OS Eastings: 398073

OS Northings: 467463

OS Grid: SD980674

Mapcode National: GBR GN8Z.3X

Mapcode Global: WHB6N.S42C

Entry Name: Topham's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324649

Location: Conistone with Kilnsey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Conistone

Listing Text

SD 9867 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY KILNSEY ROAD
(south side)
Conistone

24/62 Topham's Farmhouse

10.9.54

GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1630, with C18 additions and restoration c1980. Coursed
limestone rubble, gritstone dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2
storeys, 4 first-floor windows to 3-bay lobby entry plan original house;
added bay to left, and rear outshut bay 1. The C17 house has quoins and a
C20 glazed door in chamfered quoined surround with shallow triangular
doorhead between bays 2 and 3; the large lintel has a recessed panel with
raised lettering, "1630 ? G.H.". C20 porch not of special interest.
Blocked doorway far right. Fenestration of 1630 house has recessed
chamfered windows to original openings. Ground floor, bay 1 -probably a
former 2-light window, the mullion removed, hood mould over; bay 2- 4, now
2 lights with hoodmould and lowered sill, bay 3 similar. First floor:
below eaves windows of 2,3 and 3 lights, the mullions removed; inserted
bathroom window between bays 2 and 3. Large stack to ridge above door and
far right. Added bay to left: glazed door right with single stone right
jamb; and external stone stair to left provides a flat hood to the ground
floor door, supported by a massive corbel. The top slab of the stair is
concrete, the first-floor door glazed, with restored jambs and sill. Rear
(to road): main range - chamfered fire window bay 2 and remains of a
similar window far right; C20 openings to remainder. The outshut, right,
has a 2-light recessed chamfered mullion window in the left return.
Interior: the central room has a fine fireplace with 3-part stone arch
composed of a central keystone and flanking single blocks incised in
imitation of voussoirs; the arch and jambs have cyma mouldings to the
chamfer. Large chamfered cross beam and joists, those linked to the
chimney breast replaced. The inner room to right has a smaller fireplace
with chamfered corbelled jambs and a simple shallow triangular arched
lintel. Spine beam with stepped run-out stops, the joists set into
horizontal timbers or wall-beams, some resting on corbels. First floor:
the principal roof-truss is above the central room cross beam and is of
king-post construction, the tie beam supported by short principals carried
on moulded corbels projecting from the inner face of the wall. There is a
small fireplace backing onto the stack in bay 3, with sawn stone surround.
One of the earliest dated buildings in the area. The plan of central hall,
parlour and services is a typical medieval house plan and the added
outshut/dairy (lined with stone shelves) and outbuilding with hayloft or
granary over, reflects C18 changes in farming. The initial H may be for
Hewitt or Horner, two families who bought land in the village in the late
C16 (Raistrick p.49) the name Topham's may have become attached to the
buildings when William Higglesworth left a house in the village to Robert
Topham (of his mother's family) in 1768. North Yorkshire Buildings Group ,
Report No. 568, 1979 A. Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1971 p.49


Listing NGR: SD9807367463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.