History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Conistone with Kilnsey, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1039 / 54°6'14"N

Longitude: -2.0306 / 2°1'50"W

OS Eastings: 398096

OS Northings: 467561

OS Grid: SD980675

Mapcode National: GBR GN8Z.5L

Mapcode Global: WHB6N.S37P

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324645

Location: Conistone with Kilnsey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Conistone

Listing Text

SD 9867 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY KETTLEWELL ROAD
(west side)
Conistone

24/58 Church of St. Mary

10.9.54

GV II

Church . Cll or C12 origins, rebuilt 1846, by Sharpe and Paley, retaining
C14 features. Limestone rubble, gritstone dressings, graduated stone slate
roof. Quoins. 5-bay nave with south porch, north aisle and bellcot, lower
3-bay chancel with north vestry. In Norman style. Gabled porch to west
has round-arched entrance with hoodmould; similar door to chancel and round
headed lancet windows throughout. The bellcot to west gable has twin roll-
moulded arches and a gable. The east window is of 3 lights. The vestry
east window is reset, of 2 triangular-headed lights with chamfered mullion.
Stone copings to all gables. Interior: the 2 western arches of the north
arcade are early Norman, the round arches on rectangular piers; responds
with plain abaci. The 2 eastern arches are C14 double chamfered and
pointed, on octagonal piers. The font has a possibly Norman square tapered
bowl, a restored stem and chamfered base. The choir stalls have linen-fold
panelling; the oak pews are 1957 by Thompson of Kilburn. At the time of
rebuilding the church was part of the large parish of Burnsall and the
Vicar, the Rev. William Bury, lived at Chapel House, Kilnsey.


Listing NGR: SD9809667561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.