History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calcining Kilns

A Grade II Listed Building in Spaunton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3443 / 54°20'39"N

Longitude: -0.8926 / 0°53'33"W

OS Eastings: 472089

OS Northings: 494876

OS Grid: SE720948

Mapcode National: GBR QL66.KF

Mapcode Global: WHF9G.826D

Entry Name: Calcining Kilns

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296302

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328945

Location: Spaunton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Spaunton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lastingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Rosedale Abbey

Listing Text

SPAUNTON BANK TOP
SE 79 SW
7/114 Calcining Kilns
- II
Calcining kilns. c1856, and later. For the Rosedale Mining Company.
Roughly squared stone faced with rusticated stone; interior lined with red
and cream bricks. Bank of 4 kilns, extended by a further 4 kilns. Openings
to the earlier kilns are narrow, round-headed arches of rusticated voussoirs
on rusticated piers. To right, 4 further kilns have wider, semicircular
arches similarly constructed of rusticated stone. To the rear of the
earlier bank of kilns the back wall survives, of rubble with flat coping
stones on top. The kilns have largely collapsed but sections of lining
bricks are visible behind the stone arches. No metal parts survive. The
kilns were constructed in association with the ironstone mine established in
1856 on the west side of Rosedale near Hollins Farm. They were built close
to the Bank Top terminus of the North Eastern Railway's Rosedale Branchline,
completed in 1861, from Ingleby on the Picton to Kildale line in Cleveland.
Ore was transported in rope-hauled wagons along a tramway from the mine to
the railway terminus where it was tipped into the kilns from above. It was
then roasted to drive off water and corbonic acid, thus reducing its weight
for onward transportation to County Durham and Teeside. With 2 temporary
closures in 1874 and 1879, the mine continued in operation until 1885. In
1864 the company's title was changed to the Rosedale and Ferryhill Iron
Company Ltd, and after the second closure a new company, The West Rosedale
Mine Company, was formed. R H Hayes and J G Rutter, Rosedale Mines and
Railway, Scarborough Archaeological and Historical Society, Research Report
No 9.


Listing NGR: SE7208994876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.