History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanford Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanford with Orleton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2894 / 52°17'21"N

Longitude: -2.4192 / 2°25'9"W

OS Eastings: 371501

OS Northings: 265773

OS Grid: SO715657

Mapcode National: GBR BZ.XT9Q

Mapcode Global: VH924.0QXB

Entry Name: Stanford Bridge

Listing Date: 27 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149376

Location: Shelsley Kings, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Shelsley Kings

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Teme Valley North

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stockton on Teme

Listing Text

STANFORD WITH ORLETON CP
SO 76 NW
6/183

STANFORD BRIDGE

Stanford Bridge

II

Road bridge over River Teme, now pedestrian bridge. Dated 1905. Reinforced concrete, and brick. Single-span semi-circular arch aligned north-east/south-west about 27 metres across and four yards wide with pierced openings in spandrels. Cast iron railings with ball finials and standards spaced at about two yard intervals also with ball finials. Brick abutments with concrete capping. At north-east end are remains of an earlier bridge (probably early C18); brick with sandstone coping and splayed ends terminating in circular piers. Above the archway on both sides of the bridge is written "REBUILT BY WORCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL 1905". The earliest recorded bridge on the site was a wooden structure of 1548. This was rebuilt in brick probably in the early C18 and this brick bridge was replaced by a single-span iron one in 1797, the predecessor of the present bridge. A new road bridge was built in 1973 about 45 metres downstream. Although the bridge is dated 1905 it was not actually opened until 1907 because of structural problems.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1156623. That entry was removed from the List on 4 November 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 8 November 2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.