This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.707 / 51°42'25"N
Longitude: -0.4172 / 0°25'1"W
OS Eastings: 509464
OS Northings: 202103
OS Grid: TL094021
Mapcode National: GBR G78.WWZ
Mapcode Global: VHFSD.QC98
Entry Name: Abbot's House
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158679
Location: Abbots Langley, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD5
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Abbots Langley
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbots Langley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0902 ABBOTS LANGLEY HIGH STREET
11/33 No. 10
1.9.53 (Abbot's House)
House. C16, altered and heated mid C17. Largely rebuilt c.1700, extended
late C19 and c.1900. Originally timber framed, rebuilt and cased in red
brick, some rendering and sham timber framing. Hipped tiled roof.
Originally a hall with cross wing to left. Rebuilt as symmetrical 3
window front, double depth house. Roof raised, 2 storeys and attic.
Central entrance in original screens passage position: 6 fielded
panelled door, semi-circular traceried fanlight, panelled round headed
reveal, Roman Doric doorcase with half-columns, entablature, open
pediment. Broadly spaced glazing bar sashes, flush frames, gauged brick
flat arched heads, tripartite on outer bays. Modillioned eaves cornice.
Abbot medallion inserted to centre below eaves. C17 ridge stack to right
of centre with cornice, 3 clustered octagonal shafts. C17 stack to left
end. Left return has ground floor French doors, first floor 3 light
casement with arched heads to each light, cambered outer head, a gabled
2 light dormer. Extruded stack towards rear, some original framing
exposed to rear of this stack. Rear elevation has projecting gable end
of original cross wing. Ground floor conservatory. First floor and attic
3 light casements, sham timber framing which continues across rear
elevation. To centre a large 16 pane staircase sash. To left and
projecting less is an early C20 gabled block with a 1 storey hipped
projection. Right return from front has French doors, a sash in a reveal
and towards rear a c.1900 rendered rectangular bay. Interior: ground
floor stop ovolo moulded binding beam in original cross wing, main
stair is early C19 with moulded newel posts and hand rail. Some C17
cigar balusters re-used in secondary stair in wing. (RCHM Typescript:
Listing NGR: TL0946402103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings