History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hendford Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9392 / 50°56'21"N

Longitude: -2.6357 / 2°38'8"W

OS Eastings: 355432

OS Northings: 115722

OS Grid: ST554157

Mapcode National: GBR MP.P02Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.H0H

Entry Name: Hendford Manor

Listing Date: 8 September 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261364

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5515BNW YEOVIL CP HENDFORD (East side)

7/28 Hendford Manor

8.9.70

GV II*

Large town house converted to offices of c1720 with later alterations to
left-hand and right-hand (projecting). (Vacant Jan. 1983). Ham stone ashlar with
Welsh slate roof between coped gables, chimney stacks removed. 2-storeys with
attic and basement of 7 bays: the main West facade has plinth (with four 2-light
basement windows now blocked, rusticated quoins, band cill courses and moulded
string at first floor level. Central 8-panel front door (up 5 steps) with
projecting porch of c1900 design, using pairs of freely interpreted Corinthian
columns on high plinths carrying open segmental pediment, with bulls-eye window
under: parapet crowned with 2 urns: ground floor windows simple cruiform wooden
casements with leaded lights set in plain architraves; first floor has seven
16-pane sashes with medium glazing bars, in simple architraves: dentilled
cornice above, with the piers only remaining of a (presumed) balustrade.
3-dormer windows with segmental lead covered roofs to alternate bays-having
16-pane casements. To right-hand a matching extension of full height but
apparently only single storey with basement possibly c1860, with hipped Welsh
slate roof. No windows to sides, but to front a blocked basement window and a
large triple window in quasi-Venetian pattern, with triangular pediment. To
left- hand a plainer 2-storey extension, of uncertain date of local stone cut
and squared, with Welsh slate hipped roof having 3-bays of 3-light windows in
simple raised architraved and mullioned surrounds; barred windows: to the right
a simple doorway with flat stone hood. Interior not inspected. Built by Hooper
family c1750 (Solicitors): enlarged by Edwin Newman in 1840, purchased by Yeovil
Borough Council 1938.


Listing NGR: ST5543215722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.