History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cowmyers

A Grade II Listed Building in Azerley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1488 / 54°8'55"N

Longitude: -1.5914 / 1°35'29"W

OS Eastings: 426783

OS Northings: 472634

OS Grid: SE267726

Mapcode National: GBR KNBG.8H

Mapcode Global: WHC7M.JZD9

Entry Name: Cowmyers

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331020

Location: Azerley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Azerley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Laverton

Listing Text

SE 27 SE AZERLEY GALPHAY LANE
(north side, off)


5/18 Cowmyers

- II


Farmhouse, now private residence. Mid C17 probably for the father of
William Wells, with C19 alterations and C20 restoration. Coursed limestone
rubble to south front, cobbles to rear and gable walls, pantile roof with 2
eaves courses of stone slates. 1 room deep. 2 storeys with attic , 3 bays.
Plank door to left of centre in chamfered quoined surround with large
lintel. Windows of 3 lights to right of entrance, the remainder all of 2
lights. All have wooden casements, possibly replacing stone mullions, and
are in chamfered stone surrounds. Gable copings; ridge stack above
entrance. Two C20 roof lights to centre front and C20 windows in right
return. Interior not seen at resurvey, but reported to contain main
fireplace at left end of central room, which contains scarfed spine beam
indicating former bressumer and firehood. Stairs rise from kitchen and have
lowest step of stone. Roof contains 3 pairs of upper crucks with saddle
supporting ridge purlin and evidence of reuse. Documents suggest that the
house was built just before 1669 when it was referred to as the 'New
Firehouse' to distinguish it from the older house just to the east. The
building was recorded and researched between 1974 and 1982 by Rachel
Hellier. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group
Report Number 272, 1985.


Listing NGR: SE2678372634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.