History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Houses Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Farndale East, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3694 / 54°22'9"N

Longitude: -0.9663 / 0°57'58"W

OS Eastings: 467253

OS Northings: 497585

OS Grid: SE672975

Mapcode National: GBR PKPX.LG

Mapcode Global: WHF97.4F3Q

Entry Name: Church Houses Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328887

Location: Farndale East, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Farndale East

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Rosedale Abbey

Listing Text

FARNDALE EAST MACKERIDGE LANE
SE 69 NE
(north side, off)
Church Houses
4/53 Church of St Mary
14.7.55
- II
Church. 1831, with baptistry added during restorations of 1907-14. By
William Stonehouse with restoration and extension by Temple Moore.
Herringbone-tooled sandstone on chamfered plinth to south, roughly tooled
stone to north; tooled and ashlar dressings; slate roof. West baptistry,
vestry and porch, with bellcote; 5-bay nave and chancel. West end: shallow
projection to centre, on tall chamfered plinth and with pent roof, contains
paired square-headed lights. Similar windows to north and south. Gable-end
bellcote has angle turrets with pyramidal caps. Baptistry: projects forward
from nave. Shouldered opening to south beneath flat hoodmould. Double
board doors are recessed forming a porch within the building. Chamfered and
quoined door surround with pyramid stops is square-headed and shouldered,
and has segmental relieving arch of voussoirs. Nave: 2 windows to both
sides, of paired trefoil-headed lights, with flat hoodmoulds to south.
Offset buttresses to east. Chancel: to south, narrow, shouldered priest's
door in quoined surround flanked by 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery
beneath flat stopped hoodmoulds. To north, window of 3 cusped lights in
quoined surround. East end: dwarf clasping buttresses. Pointed window of 3
lights with curvilinear tracery beneath stopped hoodmould. Cavetto-moulded
eaves course to all parts. Window surrounds and mullions throughout are
chamfered. Coped gables and gable cross to east. Interior: tall pointed
baptistry arch with irregularly quoined jambs. Low segmental chancel arch
with roll hoodmould on attached columns with imposts cavetto-moulded on
underside. King-post roof to nave and barrel-vaulted ceiling to chancel.


Listing NGR: SE6725397585

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.