History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatepiers Within Yew Court Grounds, Approximately 10 Metres to West House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newby and Scalby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3005 / 54°18'1"N

Longitude: -0.4464 / 0°26'47"W

OS Eastings: 501196

OS Northings: 490545

OS Grid: TA011905

Mapcode National: GBR TLBQ.44

Mapcode Global: WHGC0.35PH

Entry Name: Gatepiers Within Yew Court Grounds, Approximately 10 Metres to West House

Listing Date: 26 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296623

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326908

Location: Newby and Scalby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Newby and Scalby

Built-Up Area: Scarborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scalby St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Burniston

Listing Text

TA 09 SW SCALBY HIGH STREET
(north side)

5/40 Gate piers within
Yew Court grounds,
approximately
10 metres to west of
house
-

- II


Pair of gate piers. c1742. Dressed sandstone. Circular on plan,
approximately 2 metres in diameter. Half-glazed doors to garden side,
with decorative iron glazing bars. Heavy stone lintels. 2 small oval
openings, originally unglazed, to street side of each pier. Projecting
moulded cornice below the domed tops which were apparently rebuilt in
C19. There is a corresponding projecting stone band inside each pier,
at the base of the concave roof. The piers were probably erected in
1742 when Yew Court was built on the site of an earlier building,
thought to be of ecclesiastical origins. They were depicted-in
2 paintings by John Atkinson Grimshaw in 1877, now held in the Leeds
City Art Gallery.


Listing NGR: TA0119690545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.