This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.865 / 53°51'53"N
Longitude: -1.1929 / 1°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 453175
OS Northings: 441275
OS Grid: SE531412
Mapcode National: GBR NR3R.J8
Mapcode Global: WHDBH.N35W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326405
Location: Bolton Percy, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bolton Percy
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bolton Percy All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
BOLTON PERCY MAIN STREET
SE 54 SW (west side)
4/21 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C14, consecrated 1424, with restorations to east window of
1866 by William Warrington, and restoration of 1905 by John Bilson, probably
including addition of south porch. Magnesian limestone ashlar with stone
slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-
bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: angle buttresses with offsets,
chamfered plinth. West side has pointed-arched plank door under hood-mould,
above, a 3-cinquefoil-light window under hood-mould. To second stage a 2-
light straight-headed window within chamfered recess to south side.
To third stage are 3-light cusped, straight-headed bell openings.
Battlements with angle pinnacles. South porch has pointed entrance under
hood-mould. Within, double plank doors in moulded surround under hood-mould
with shield stops. Nave: offset buttresses, chamfered plinth. 3-light
Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches throughout. North side has 4-
centred doorway with chamfered jambs and plank door. Low parapet. Chancel:
offset buttresses. Plinth. Central pointed priest's entrance a plank door
which breaks sill band. To north side a low single-bay vestry to centre
with 3-trefoil-light window to east under hood-mould. Otherwise 3-light
windows with Perpendicular tracery under hood-mould. Battlements with
finials. East end has 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery under hood-
mould. Cross at apex. Interior. Double-chamfered, pointed tower arch
partly obscured by organ. Pointed, double-chamfered arcade on octagonal
piers with 3-columnar responds to east. Stoup to right of south door.
Norman tub font with Jacobean font cover with traceried panels. Jacobean
prayer desk with strapwork panels. Caroline pulpit has fielded-panel sides
and tester ornamented with cherubs' heads. Double-chamfered chancel on
arch with 3 engaged shafts at responds. Gabled sedilia has 3 gables.
Piscina with an angel at its base. Some medieval stalls. Monuments include
medieval grave slab to Elizabeth Ryther and various C17 slabs to floor of
nave. Baroque wall monument with original railing to Ferdinando 2nd Lord
Fairfax d1648. Others to Isabella Bladen d1691 and her mother Francis
Fairfax d1692; cartouche to William Fairfax d1694; to the wife of William
Milner by Bacon, 1807; to Sir William Milner d1811 by C Fisher; and to Maria
Fairfax d1642. A complete set of Jacobean box pews. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
The West Riding, 1979, pp 116-117.
Listing NGR: SE5317641278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings