This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.037 / 52°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.0614 / 2°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 395882
OS Northings: 237619
OS Grid: SO958376
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.7N3
Mapcode Global: VHB14.7219
Entry Name: The Red House School and Flanking Walls
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Last Amended: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296661
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148582
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/129 21/3 The Red House School
and flanking walls
30-7-59 (formerly listed as
Shown on the OS map as The Red House.
House, now private school and flanking walls. Mid-C18, altered and extended
1901 and 1910 by Ernest Newton for Richard Biddulph Martin. Red brick with
limestone ashlar dressings and base; plain tiled hipped roofs behind parapets
and with brick end stacks. Three storeys and cellar, ashlar band at first
floor level and moulded cornice beneath parapet. Three bays with rusticated
end quoins. Windows all have stone architraves; outer bays have Venetian
windows on all floors with four consoles beneath jambs, moulded keyblocks
and 12-pane central sashes with traceried upper glazing bars and 8-pane outer
sashes. Windows in central bay have two consoles beneath jambs, moulded cor-
nices and 12-pane sashes. Central entrance has a pediment and entablature
on simple engaged columns, a half-glazed door and a transom light with three
glazing bars. It is reached by two flights of four steps with cast iron rail-
ings which have a scrolled frieze at the base and the two central standards
have small ball finials. Large two-storey wing adjoins to rear right by Newton
using similar materials and details. Flanking walls probably also by Newton.
Brick on tall ashlar base with ashlar coping. Both walls are about 12 feet
high and five yards long and set back slightly from the front elevation. At
the centre of each wall is a gateway with a plain stone architrave and broad
lintel and a timber gate with a decorative openwork "Chinese Chippendale"
upper panel [cf main staircase balustrade on second floor of Northlands House
(qv) and Sunny Bank Cottage (qv)]. (Newton, W G: The Life and Works of Ernest
Newton, London, 1925; BoE, p 233).
Listing NGR: SO9588237619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings