This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9856 / 53°59'8"N
Longitude: -2.2133 / 2°12'48"W
OS Eastings: 386107
OS Northings: 454417
OS Grid: SD861544
Mapcode National: GBR DQZC.M0
Mapcode Global: WHB74.Z26W
Entry Name: Swinden Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324983
Location: Swinden, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hellifield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Gisburn St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 85 SE
4/105 Swinden Hall
House. Dated 1657 over door with c.1600 rear wing. Rubble with dressed quoins
and stone slate roof. Almost symmetrical plan. Three storeys and three
bays, the entrance front being almost symmetrical around the full length
gabled porch. tudor arched doorway with studded door and hoodmould; the
lintel is scratched '1657 MAY THE 16 EW and HW'. The ground floor has, on
either side of the porch, one 6 light window with King mullion, the first
one 5 light window, the second one 3 light stepped window, all double chamfered
with hoodmoulds. The porch conforms in its top storey but has a 3 light
window to the first floor. All these windows have early C19 cast iron lozenge
glazing: the two gable ends have stacks, both are external with offsets.
One 2-light doulbe chamfered window to left gable and one of 3 lights to
the rear where there is also a blocked doorway. These elevations show evidence
of alteration with changed windows to the kitchen and morning room, several
modern windows with flat faced mullions and some disturbed stonework. A
small connecting wing of later date (straight joint on right gable) leads
to the old dairy which is the previous farmhouse of c.1600. Two storeys,
three bays with small extension of granary over outhouse to left. Ground
floor with two light window with ovolo mullion to left of doorway decora-
tive Craven lintel and single light window to right, continuous dripmould.
The windows are repeated above. Eaves on stone brackets. Tudor arched doorway
to left, plain window on either floor. Rear elevation has 3 light and 2
light windows. Interior: Altered, with probably late C19/early C20 staircase.
Morning room (old kitchen) with large fireplace with hollow roll mould and
hinge lintel; cross beam with double roll mould. Drawing room with segmental
arched fireplace with 13 voussoir stones, hollow chamfered. Plastered cross-
beams. Dining room with central plaster ceiling diamond with relief straw-
berries. Beam plastered in. Main bedroom with plaster overmantel with straw-
berries, acorns, fleur de lys etc. Large chamfered beams on stone corbels,
now plastered, Upper floor shows three large King post trusses one of which
has been altered. Smaller king post truss in dairy.
Listing NGR: SD8610754417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings