History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Elms

A Grade II Listed Building in West Ayton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2493 / 54°14'57"N

Longitude: -0.4885 / 0°29'18"W

OS Eastings: 498580

OS Northings: 484787

OS Grid: SE985847

Mapcode National: GBR TM19.1H

Mapcode Global: WHGC5.GGL8

Entry Name: The Elms

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296713

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327063

Location: West Ayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: West Ayton

Built-Up Area: East Ayton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hutton Buscell St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Ayton

Listing Text

WEST AYTON COCKRAH ROAD
SE 9884
(east side)
8/38
The Elms
GV
II
House. C18, altered and extended in 1837 (on datestone); further
alterations in C20. Coursed sandstone with concrete slate roof. Originally
central entry plan, 1½ rooms deep, later extended to the left and rear to
form double-pile plan; lean-to extension to right added and raised later.
2-storey, 5-window front, with quoins to the front only. Left of centre 6-
panel door beneath patterned overlight, with scroll-bracketed cornice on
panelled pilasters. Three 16-pane sashes with stone sills and heavy lintels
to right and one to the left. Five similar windows to first floor. Rear:
radial-glazed staircase window with archivolt. Gable walls: radial-glazed
attic windows with archivolts to light attic passage. Coped gables and
shaped kneelers. End and left of centre stacks. Interior: open string
straight staircase with moulded handrail, wreathed at foot, turned balusters
and shaped cheekpieces. Ceilings to ground and first floor rooms to left
have moulded plaster coving. The lean-to extension to right, partly raised
c.1900, was probably a trap-shed, and has a wide blocked opening to the
ground floor.


Listing NGR: SE9858084787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.