This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0521 / 54°3'7"N
Longitude: -1.981 / 1°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 401339
OS Northings: 461797
OS Grid: SE013617
Mapcode National: GBR GPLL.X5
Mapcode Global: WHB6W.JDWX
Entry Name: Manor House Barn and Approach Bridge
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324854
Location: Thorpe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Thorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
THORPE MAIN STREET
14/99 Manor House barn
and Approach Bridge
Barn, coach house and stable. Dated 1697 but rebuilt late C18 - early
C19. Coursed squared limestone rubble and ashlar, graduated stone slate
roof. Northern half of 2 storeys and 2 bays, the southern end of 3
bays, open to roof. Quoins. West facade, bays 1 and 2: two 12-pane
top-hinged windows to ground floor. 9-pane windows above, all in plain
stone surrounds. Bays 3, 4 and 5: tall central cart entrance, the
segmental arch of edge-tooled gritstone; voussoirs, quoined jambs.
A reset date stone above has raised lettering "I B M 1697". The east
entrance is approached across a single arch ashlar bridge with stone
plain parapets. The cart entrance is flanked by 2 tiers of 3 vents
(to left) and 2 vents (to right). Moulded kneelers, gable copings.
Rear: bay 2 has an external stair to a 6-panel door in plain surround,
a 9-pane window to right; moulded stone gutter brackets. Added out-
buildings not of special interest. Left return: principal facade of
coach house, facing the Manor House (qv): semi-circular arches to coach
entrance left and stable doorway, right. The coach-arch has edge-tooled
voussoirs and projecting keystone; imposts and keystone to stable door.
Inserted square loading door to first floor, centre, above projecting
ashlar band, a second band at eaves level above; in the gable an oval
glazed window below 3 tiers of pigeon holes with perching ledges and
a round-arched owl hole to apex. Local people remember that the upper
floor was once used as a chapel or non-conformist meeting place.
Listing NGR: SE0133961797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings