This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3565 / 51°21'23"N
Longitude: -1.0944 / 1°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 463154
OS Northings: 162330
OS Grid: SU631623
Mapcode National: GBR B5B.S5T
Mapcode Global: VHCZV.Z59D
Entry Name: The Old House (Edrington)
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Last Amended: 17 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139094
Location: Silchester, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG7
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Silchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Silchester St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 66 SW SILCHESTER
26.4.57 The Old House
(formerly listed as
C18, and circa 1900. The original almost square house retains its north and west
elevations almost intact, the south front having been altered in style at the later period, when substantial extensions were added on the east side. North and west fronts of 2 storeys and attic, with symmetrical treatment of 5 windows. Steep hipped tile roof with modillion eaves cornice, 2 flat-roofed dormers. Red brick walling in Flemish bond, rubbed flat arches, first-floor band, plinth. Sashes in exposed frames, 3 upper windows on the north front being original with thick glazing bars, 2 windows are painted blanks, and the central ground-floor of the north front has been filled with brickwork (and is possibly a former entrance). The south front has a 1/2 hexagonal 2-storeyed bay on the west side, the other fenestration being irregular, the details following the original very closely. To the east side is a large brick porch with a stucco Doric doorframe. Abutting a wall of the later extension are 2 pilasters and 2 columns linked by an architrave band, being probably fragments of the original Corinthian porch.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings