This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8865 / 53°53'11"N
Longitude: -1.0891 / 1°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 459966
OS Northings: 443747
OS Grid: SE599437
Mapcode National: GBR NRVH.0K
Mapcode Global: WHFCH.7KMX
Entry Name: Bell Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326199
Location: Naburn, York, YO19
Civil Parish: Naburn
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Naburn St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 54 SE
(east side, off)
8/86 Bell Hall
House. Dated 1680 above doors with later additions and alterations
including C19 kitchen wing to right. Attributed to John Etty for Sir John
Hewley. Pinkish-orange brick with ashlar dressings, rendered basement and
slate roof. Double pile Carolean house. 2 storeys with basement
and attic, 5 bays, with 3-bay returns and recessed single storey, single-bay
wing. Quoins. Basement. 2-light mullion windows with casements. Cyma
reversa hoods. Ashlar ground-floor band. Central flight of steps (with
cast-iron boot scrapers) which interupts basement to C19 glazed double doors
with 8-pane overlight in eared architrave within pilastered doorcase with
acanthus consoles supporting broken segmental pediment containing early C20
sundial. 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors with moulded sills and
beneath flat arches of red rubbed brick, and with ashlar keystones to ground
floor. Window bays project slightly. Moulded first floor band projecting
as cornice over windows. Lead rainwater heads and fall-pipes. Timber
cornice. 3 pedimented roof dormers with 6-pane sashes. Hipped roof with
central well. Left return is similar with late C19 central flight of steps
surmounted by earlier ball finials and urns to 8-fielded-panel door in
similar surround. Rear similar but with no door. Right return has two
original windows to first floor. Fine interior survives throughout and
includes bolection moulded panelling to most rooms, that to first floor
sitting room has mainly C17 and C18 paintings to panels. Study to ground
floor has 2 C17 over-door paintings on panels. Framed newel staircase has
onion-on-vase balusters. Rear dog-leg service staircase has vase balusters.
Entrance hall: Elizabethan overmantel with some alterations and additions
brought from Deighton Hall c.1890. Further late C17 and some C18 fireplaces
to most rooms including overmantel to ground floor left hand room with
carved fruit and foliage reputed to be by Etty and brought (c.1750) from a
house in Saint Saviourgate, York. Some rooms have embellished cornices. 6-
and 8-panel doors to most rooms. Ground floor windows have shutters.
Priest's hole to green bedroom. Sources: Country Life, 17th June, 1922.
Linstrum, D., West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978, p.376.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.314.
Listing NGR: SE5996643747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings