This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.571 / 53°34'15"N
Longitude: -2.8956 / 2°53'44"W
OS Eastings: 340790
OS Northings: 408643
OS Grid: SD407086
Mapcode National: GBR 8W64.XM
Mapcode Global: WH86H.HHDQ
Entry Name: Water Pumping House
Listing Date: 1 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297315
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386398
Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39
District: West Lancashire
Town: West Lancashire
Electoral Ward/Division: Knowsley
Built-Up Area: Ormskirk
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Aughton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD40NW HALSALL LANE
663-1/4/159 (East side)
Water Pumping House
Water pumping house. Dated 1870 over doorway; altered.
Red brick in English bond with sandstone dressings and slate
roofs on 2 levels.
T-plan formed by main range on approx. east-west axis with
double-pile range (possibly the former boiler house) across
east end. Jacobethan style.
The main range has a basement and one tall storey with the
appearance of 2 storeys, a gabled 1-window facade and 2-window
The facade has a small raised terrace approached by a small
flight of steps, wide corner pilasters with quoined corners, a
moulded cornice and a large shaped gable; a large
square-headed doorway with a heavy stone architrave including
an arcaded entablature and cresting with a shield lettered
"SALUS PER UNDAS 1870", and above this a mullion-and-transom
The sides have shaped gables to the corner pilsters and to a
raised centre, and between these similar 8-light windows on
The range to the rear is single-storeyed, with a corbel table
and cornice, coupled shaped gables and large round-headed
archways with banded surrounds (one a doorway and the other
altered as a window); and its rear wall has windows in similar
INTERIOR: altered machinery pumping water from 2 bore holes.
An unusual building of striking architectural appearance,
reflecting Victorian awareness of the historical significance
of public water supplies; forms group with associated lodge
Listing NGR: SD4079008643
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings