This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1983 / 52°11'53"N
Longitude: 1.4776 / 1°28'39"E
OS Eastings: 637751
OS Northings: 261260
OS Grid: TM377612
Mapcode National: GBR XQK.2DX
Mapcode Global: VHM7V.K0JM
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 21 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285087
Location: Benhall, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Benhall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Benhall St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 36 SE BENHALL MITFORD ROAD (south side)
2/26 The Old House (formerly
25.10.51 listed as Old School House)
Former school house, now a private dwelling. Dated 1736 on tablet above door;
substantial early C20 alterations and additions. Red brick, plaintile roof. 2
storeys and attic. Original house: 5 window range, sashes with glazing bars in
flush frames, flat brick arches. Central doorway with original stone panelled
architrave and cornice supported on console brackets; C19 half-glazed door.
Over the doorway is an inscribed stone tablet supported laterally by consoles
and headed by a broken pediment on console brackets, within which is a
cartouche. To right of entrance is another inscribed stone tablet dated 1829.
Coved plaster cornice; later mansard roof with 3 flat-roofed dormers. Addition
to left hand side with curved Dutch style gable: 2 storeys and attic, single
window range, sashes with small panes; between this and the original house is a
flat-roofed section with semi-circular headed windows at ground and first floor
levels and a circular window above. Interior with fine C18 mantelpieces,
apparently later importations. Boundary wall to south of house surmounted by
carved stone consoles. The tablet above the door reads "Sr. Edward Duke Late
of this Parish Baronet. having by his Will Bequeathed A Thousand Pounds for the
Building of A School & Maintenance, for A Master for ye Time being, to Instruct
the Poore Children belonging to this Parish to Read & Write, in Persuance there
to, this House was Erected by Edmund Tyrell Esq. (only Executor of the Said Sir
Edmund Duke) in ye Year of Our Lord 1736."
Listing NGR: TM3775161260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings