This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.833 / 50°49'58"N
Longitude: -0.2037 / 0°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 526590
OS Northings: 105250
OS Grid: TQ265052
Mapcode National: GBR JNV.P9F
Mapcode Global: FRA B6GW.VV0
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365598
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Wish
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Aldrington
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington
579-1/3/151 (North side)
24/03/50 Church of St Leonard
Parish church. 1878 nave (now south aisle) and tower on site
of former medieval church, 1936 nave, chancel and spire.
Architect of C19 work Richard Herbert Carpenter, C20 work by
Dressed knapped flint, squared and coursed, stone dressings
and quoins, north wall of brick, clay tile roof, coped verges,
broached spire with wooden shingles.
Plan: 6-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower, chancel,
north-east brick addition, south-east vestry and south porch
(no longer used), entrance now via west end of nave.
Low, setback buttresses to 2-stage tower, 2-light louvred
bell-openings, 3 lancet windows either side of timber-framed
south porch with ornate bargeboards. Date stone in plinth of
chancel inscribed "This stone was laid with full masonic ---
by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons
of Sussex, Major R.Lawrence Thornton CBE on the day of the 6
Interior: rendered. Chancel: arch braced scissor truss roof,
nave and south aisle with boarded and ceiled barrel vault
roofs. Arcade of chamfered piers, pointed arches chamfered in
2 orders. Stained glass: East window dated 1948. Chancel with
fine display of Minton floor tiles; sedilia and piscina.
Replica medieval font.
The C13 parish church was described as ruinous in 1638 and
between the mid C18 and early C19 the parish of Aldrington was
deserted. If anything of the medieval church remained in the
1870s, it did not survive the rebuilding. The North aisle
planned in 1936 was not built.
(Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).
Listing NGR: TQ2659005250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings