This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8246 / 50°49'28"N
Longitude: -0.1574 / 0°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 529875
OS Northings: 104404
OS Grid: TQ298044
Mapcode National: GBR JP3.904
Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.GHT
Entry Name: The Old Market
Listing Date: 10 September 1971
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365645
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick and Adelaide
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2904SE UPPER MARKET STREET
579-1/23/126 (South side)
The Old Market
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER MARKET STREET
Market, subsequently enlarged as riding school, now vacant.
1828, enlarged mid C19, extensive internal alterations
Render over brick, rusticated ground floor, part-rendered on
rear elevations, hipped slate roofs.
Plan: island site, rectangular market hall in centre of square
block, main elevation on north front.
North front: 3-storey centre with 2 and 3 storey wings,
1:1:2:1:3 bays, central 4 bays with 3 pairs of giant pilasters
with acanthus leaf capitals carrying entablature with ball
finials to outer pair of pilasters and central panel with
volutes, inscribed Old Market Arts Centre, to right modillion
cornice to 2 bays, end bay only 2 storeys high, square-headed
windows with 6-pane sashes, end bay left of 2 storeys with
segmental-headed windows, ground floor rusticated with
entrances, boarded up, in fourth and fifth bays.
Left return (east), central 3-bay range facing the Waterloo
Street Arch (qv): single storey with moulded cornice and
parapet, flat string linking round-headed arcades, glazed
heads, wide pilaster doorcases of uncertain date, boarded up
openings but with evidence of double panelled dados, thought
to be shop counters or shop windows.
3-storey, 3 x 5 bay block in south-west corner with quoins and
shaped aprons to first floor windows, ground floor altered
No internal features of interest survive apart from the
original roof king post trusses.
Built as Brunswick Market, the building had become a riding
academy by 1840 and in 1875 was taken over by Mr Dupont's
Riding Academy. Subsequently it was used as a warehouse, part
of it being a bacon smokery. In the late 1970s attempts were
made to convert it into an arts centre; at time of Survey the
building was vacant.
(Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-).
Listing NGR: TQ2987504404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings