History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Barrow, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2095 / 53°12'34"N

Longitude: -2.7957 / 2°47'44"W

OS Eastings: 346952

OS Northings: 368338

OS Grid: SJ469683

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.1Z97

Mapcode Global: WH889.0LZF

Entry Name: Church of Saint Bartholomew

Listing Date: 1 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55450

Location: Barrow, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Barrow

Built-Up Area: Great Barrow

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Barrow St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tarvin

Listing Text

SJ 46 NE BARROW C P THE VILLAGE
Great Barrow

4/4 Church of St.Bartholomew

1/6/1967
GV II*

Church: some late Medieval work in north aisle, chancel dated 1671
for Dean Bridgeman, tower dated 1744 and remainder dated 1883 by John
Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof. 4-bay nave and north
aisle, south porch, 3-bay chancel and a 4-stage tower. Nave has 2 and
4-light rectangular windows, with 2 levels of round-headed lights,
under label mounds. Gabled porch has a 4-centred arched entrance with
cusped ogee headed light above. Romanesque style doorway behind.
Chancel has a single and triple round-headed window and a blocked,
moulded 4-centred arched priest's doorway with a plaque above reading
"THIS CHANCEL WAS BUILT BY D HENRY BRIDGEMAN LORD BISHOP OF MAN DEAN
OF CHESTER AND RECTOR OF BARROW 1671". Pointed arched, 4-light
transomed east window. Classical style tower has bands at each stage
and semi-circular heads to surrounds with raised quoining, of the west
door, mullioned west window, and louvred bell openings. There is a
clock in the third stage and a moulded cornice carries a ramped
parapet, formerly with large gadrooned urn finials now collected at
the base of the tower. 2 good lead rainheads to the rear dated 1744
and on the south side a large circular light with raised keyblocks.
Interior: 4-bay arcade of depressed 4-centred arches on octagonal
piers. Chancel has a hammer beam truss with the Bridgeman arms on the
bosses. Boards record restoration of the chancel roof in 1807 by Hugh
Cholmondely and rebuilding of 1883. East window and east window of
the north aisle by Kempe. Octagonal font on octagonal shaft has lead
bowl dated 1713.


Listing NGR: SJ4695268338

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.