This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1526 / 51°9'9"N
Longitude: 0.2437 / 0°14'37"E
OS Eastings: 557011
OS Northings: 141655
OS Grid: TQ570416
Mapcode National: GBR MPK.NFN
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.59N7
Entry Name: Stables to East of Sir David Salomons' House
Listing Date: 14 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169343
Location: Southborough, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Southborough
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: St Peter with Christ Church and St Matthew Southborough and St Lawrence Bidborough
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
SOUTHBOROUGH SPELDHURST ROAD
Stables to east of
14-3-73 Sir David Salomons' House
Completed 1894, by William Barnsley Hughes. Laid out like a miniature French
C16 chateau, in which style they were built. Red brick with stone dressings.
Entrance on south side through brick arch, rusticated with stone and flanked by
fluted stone Ionic columns. On each side of arch screen wall joined to east and
west wings, of which west wing ends (outside screen) in octagonal pavilion with
conical slate roof and east wing in square-ended ground floor projection with
balustraded parapet over. Inside courtyard corps-de-logis is north wing facing
entrance, forming coach house. 2 storeys. Ground floor with 4 round-headed,
rusticated archways with double doors and fanlights over. Each flanked by stone
giant Ionic pilasters which rise through whole height of building to support
large modillion eaves cornice. 1st floor with 2 casement windows between each
pair of pilasters, each window having 2 small lights in two tiers with stone
transom and mullion. Steeply pitched slate roof crowned by 2 brick stacks with
double stone cornices and in centre a stone cupola with clock face at base,
pairs of Ionic columns at angles and a some surmounted by a weather-vane.
Central portion of north wing flanked by single recessed bays with gables over.
On ground floor of each are 2 narrow doorways and between them bay window of
2 storeys of 3 lights. Above are similar rusticated windows while above these
are 3-light lunette windows. Tall brick chimney stacks on outer sides of gables.
East and west sides of courtyard have lower elevation and contained stables on
ground floor with hay-lofts above, as well as tack and harness rooms. Red brick
on stone base; 1 storey with loft. At each end in centre of ground floor are
rusticated 4-centre arched stone doorways with double doors and segmental
fanlight. Centre one flanked by stone columns and slit windows. Between centre
and outer doorways are 2 rusticated Venetian windows of same design as centre
doorway. Stone cornices and parapets. 5 pedimented dormers above. Slate roof
crowned by 5 pointed imitation turrets or finials. Interior: Loose boxes remain
in east wing and partly also in west wing. Panelled below dado level, comple-
mentary light and darker green tiles above. Similar panelling remains on
ceilings of ground floor and also of doors in rooms above coach house. Pegged
round-arched braced roof in hay-lofts. Original casements remain in all rooms
except room 1st floor north-west corner.
Listing NGR: TQ5689041722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings