This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2357 / 51°14'8"N
Longitude: 1.1232 / 1°7'23"E
OS Eastings: 618123
OS Northings: 153136
OS Grid: TR181531
Mapcode National: GBR TYQ.GSK
Mapcode Global: VHLGV.F65K
Entry Name: Bourne Park House
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Last Amended: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298969
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170984
Location: Bishopsbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Bishopsbourne
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 BISHOPSBOURNE BOURNE PARK ROAD
Bourne Park House
(formerly listed as
TR 1853 22/132 29.9.52
Originally called Bourne Place. The present building was built by Sir Anthony
and Dame Elizabeth Aucher in 1701 on the site of an older building of which
the original owners were the Bourne family. A large rectangular mansion of
2 storeys, attic and basement in red brick with hipped tile roof and wooden
modillion eaves cornice. The entrance front has 13 windows and 6 dormers.
The central portion of 5 windows projects slightly with a pediment over containing
a Venetian attic window. Windows with stone keystones and hung sashes with
glazing bars. Stone stringcourse and rusticated quoins to each of the 3 sections.
The wings have 3 dormers each with pediments, the centre of each group of 3
having a segmental pediment, the outer ones triangular. Central doorway with
fluted Ionic pilasters, curved pediment containing a cartouche and door of
8 fielded panels at the head of 8 steps edged by a stone wall which is continued
in brick in front of the basement forecourt interspersed with stone piers.
The west or garden front is similar without the basement forecourt or the central
doorway and has only 5 dormers, all with triangular pediments. The north and
south fronts have 4 windows each, the north front having a small porch.
The interior was altered in 1848, but contains a good C18 staircase, panelling
and ceilings. Country Life articles, Volume 51, page 602 and 636.
Listing NGR: TR1812353136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings