History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Nether Whitacre, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5235 / 52°31'24"N

Longitude: -1.6729 / 1°40'22"W

OS Eastings: 422290

OS Northings: 291787

OS Grid: SP222917

Mapcode National: GBR 5J3.PWD

Mapcode Global: VHBW8.YTGV

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309417

Location: Nether Whitacre, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Nether Whitacre

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Nether Whitacre

Listing Text

NETHER WHITACRE HOGGRILL'S END
SP29SW
5/103 The Old House
11/11/52
- II
House. Dated 1593, remodelled and north wing added in 1908. Timber-framed with
the framing pattern outlined by applied boards; roughcast infill panels; plain
tile roof; brick ridge stack to south wing. Formerly T-shaped in plan with main
block aligned east-west facing south and a rear kitchen wing. In 1908 the
kitchen wing was converted into an entrance range and the north wing was added
to form an H-shaped plan. West front: 2-storey entrance range and flanking
gabled cross-wings of 2 storeys and attic. The upper storeys of the wings are
jettied: close studding to ground storey, herringbone pattern bracing to the
first floor and 's' bracing and geometrical patterns above. Tie beam and double
collar roof trusses with curved V-struts above the upper collar, fretted
bargeboards and apex pendants. 1:1:1 windows, casements with mullions and
transoms and leaded lights. Central lean-to porch with C20 door. Interior: the
VCH records the western room of the south wing as having a moulded ceiling beam
and a stone fireplace with moulded jambs and 4-centred head, carved panelled
frieze and moulded shelf. The eastern room is said to have an open timber
staircase and the upper rooms chamfered beams, and the roof trusses cambered
collars.
VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, 1965, p251)


Listing NGR: SP2229091787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.