History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jarrow Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Primrose, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9816 / 54°58'53"N

Longitude: -1.49 / 1°29'24"W

OS Eastings: 432735

OS Northings: 565343

OS Grid: NZ327653

Mapcode National: GBR LB1V.60

Mapcode Global: WHD4Y.21QV

Entry Name: Jarrow Town Hall

Listing Date: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303751

Location: South Tyneside, NE32

County: South Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Primrose

Built-Up Area: Jarrow

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Jarrow Grange

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hebburn

Listing Text

NW 36 NW
1/90

JARROW,
GRANGE ROAD (north side),
Jarrow Town Hall

(Formerly listed as South Tyneside Education Office)

GV II

Council offices. Dated 1902. By Fred Rennoldson of South Shields. Bright red brick and bright red glazed terracotta; roof of Welsh slate. L-plan, mostly baroque style. 2 storeys; 5 bays and corner turret to main elevation. 9 bays to return. Main elevation: entrance, in 3-storey tower in fourth bay, has deep semi-circular hood corbelled out from pilasters, broken pediment on pilasters to first floor window, a later clock projecting from third storey rusticated, aproned window opening. Rusticated ground floor, having wide, elliptical-headed windows, 3-light and transomed, in Gibbs surrounds. All 3-light mullioned and transomed brick windows, with 3-centred arched heads, on first floor; some with blind tracery in lower third. Strings, modillioned eaves cornice; pilasters define bays. Roof has balustrade, baroque dormer left of entrance tower and arches in corner turret. Left return of 9 bays has 2-bay gable with cartouche, scrolled pediment, obelisk finial; 3-storey entrance bay having 'County Court' cartouche in centre of 4 gabled bays of 3 storeys, and corner bay with cornice and turret. Historical note: foundation stone laid by Lady Palmer. Plaque in council chamber commemorates the decision taken there in 1936 to march to London - the Jarrow march.


Listing NGR: NZ3273565343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.