History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Tredington, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0764 / 52°4'35"N

Longitude: -1.6667 / 1°39'59"W

OS Eastings: 422942

OS Northings: 242061

OS Grid: SP229420

Mapcode National: GBR 5PJ.ZBC

Mapcode Global: VHBYM.228J

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 16 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299472

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306631

Location: Tredington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Tredington

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Tredington St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ilmington

Listing Text

TREDINGTON DARLINGSCOTT
SP2342
13/244 Church of St. George

- II

Church. 1873. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble with tile roof. Nave
and chancel with brick school room to south. Chancel of one bay has offset angle
buttresses and plinth. To east a 3-light Early English style window with bar
tracery of 3 cusped roundels. Below window a datestone inscribed 'A.D.1873'. To
north and south a single pointed lancet. Nave of 2 bays with offset buttresses,
plinth, coped gable and sanctus bell turret to west. To north 2 two-light
windows with bar tracery of single roundel. To south one 2-light window with bar
tracery, with single lancet to left. To west a 3-light window identical to that
to east. Windows have moulded stone sills. To north a gabled porch with pointed
double chamfered and moulded arch and hood moulds with carved head label stops.
Double-chamfered doorway with plank doors. Interior: scissor braced roof in nave
supported on carved head and flower ornament corbels. Chancel arch springing
from stiff leaf capitals. Octagonal stone font, the panels around carved with
animal heads, symbols etc. Black and red tiled floor, that to raised altar dias
with additonal buff tiles.
(V.C.H.: Worcestershire, Vol.3, p.549; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.285).


Listing NGR: SP2294242061

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.