History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cloudesley House, with Walls Attached at Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3902 / 51°23'24"N

Longitude: 0.5031 / 0°30'11"E

OS Eastings: 574255

OS Northings: 168659

OS Grid: TQ742686

Mapcode National: GBR PPN.VBC

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.NBV3

Entry Name: Cloudesley House, with Walls Attached at Rear

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172986

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER HIGH STREET (SW)
TQ 7468 NW
7/55 No 42 (Cloudesley
House), with walls
24.10.50 attached at rear
GV II*
House, formerly bank. Date: last quarter of C18 (MHLG list gives
date as 1778). 3 storeys with attics, 3 bays Flemish bond plain
coloured brick, painted brick facade. Kent tile roof. Ground
floor has 3 arched openings on moulded imposts, 2 round-headed
12 pane sashes with glazing bars recessed within; central
recessed 2 leaf 2 panel door with moulded return and soffit under
fanlight with lead glazing bars. First floor plat band, 3 first
floor 10 pane and 3 second floor 12 pane hornless sashes, all
with glazing bars, under flat rubbed brick arches. Segmental
cast iron balconies to first floor windows. Applique plaster
swags hanging from 2 roundels originally with "Phoenix Printing
Office" legend. Projecting attic cornice, tripartite parapet
pierced with 2 rows of balasters. Central hipped dormer with
moulded gable. Return to The Post Alley (south west) has 2 half
landing arched hornless sashes with glazing bars. Side entrance
2 panel door with fanlight, decorated upper architrave. Parapet
with 2 stacks. Flat roofed former banking hall extension at rear
c.1800 has 3 sashes with thin cast-iron glazing bar divisions
under flat rubbed brick arches. Rear first and second floor
elevation of house has 2 16 pane hornless sashes with glazing
bars under flat rubbed brick arches. Downpipe with lead hopper,
dated 1790. Interior: Dogleg staircase, 3 slights, thin
balusters, each third baluster of cast-iron, ramped handrail.
Ground floor plan and details replaced, except for side entrance
and stairs. First floor landing has plaster frieze and dado
rail. Room at front has good wooden architrave door surround
with frieze with rondels. 6 panel raised and fielded doors
walnut stained to simulate mahogany. Stripped fireplace with
grapes and swags in frieze. Room at rear has wooden dado rail
and door architrave plaster cornice with frieze with urns and
swags. Second floor landing with anthemion brackets. Plaster
work all of high quality. Handbill of 1790 for Phoenix Printing
Office and Rochester and Chatham and Strood bank at this house
shows facade as extant.


Listing NGR: TQ7425368657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.