History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Lawford, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3836 / 52°23'0"N

Longitude: -1.3073 / 1°18'26"W

OS Eastings: 447245

OS Northings: 276395

OS Grid: SP472763

Mapcode National: GBR 7P0.DBR

Mapcode Global: VHCTQ.9C73

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 6 October 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308818

Location: Long Lawford, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Long Lawford

Built-Up Area: Long Lawford

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Newbold-on-Avon St Botolph

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP47NE (East side)
3/33 Church of St. John

- II

Church; built as a chapel of ease. Dated 1839. Designed by William Walker.
Erected for John Caldecott of Holbrook Grange. Flemish bond brick with remains
of cement wash and red brick plinth, and artificial stone dressings. Roof of
shaped slates has coped gable parapets. Short chancel, nave, north porch, south
vestry. Simple Gothic Revival lancet style. One-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Splayed
plinth, moulded sill course and hood moulds throughout. Angle and other
buttresses; angle buttresses have chamfered and gableted pinnacles with moulded
finial. Chancel and similar west projection have stepped lancets. Roundel above
has blind quatrefoil with coat of arms to east, and date to west. Small
artificial stone octagonal west turret with foliage corbel at apex of gable.
Blind gablets and moulded finial. Porch has diagonal buttresses and painted
plank door. Nave has 3 windows to north and south. Small vestry has south
lancet, and later lean-to. Interior has pulpit, pews and other fittings of
grained wood with simple lancet detail. Font of 1886 has four granite columns
and octagonal basin. Stained glass panels of roundels and coat of arms,
surrounded by clear glass, in east window.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. VI, p.187; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.344; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1894, p.121).

Listing NGR: SP4724576395

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.