This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5008 / 52°30'3"N
Longitude: -1.5084 / 1°30'30"W
OS Eastings: 433465
OS Northings: 289328
OS Grid: SP334893
Mapcode National: GBR 6L1.9F5
Mapcode Global: VHBWK.SDXP
Entry Name: Stables at Arbury Hall and Attached Wall and Gate Pier to Left
Listing Date: 1 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308551
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV10
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Electoral Ward/Division: Arbury
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Chilvers Coton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH ARBURY PARK
4/13 Stables at Arbury Hall and
01/01/56 attached wall and gatepier to
Stable block and attached wall and gatepier. c.1675. Possibly designed by Sir
William Wilson. English bond brick with sandstone dressings. Plain-tile roof has
stone-coped gable parapets; internal and external stacks to rear are mostly C19.
U-plan with wings to rear and projecting entrance block. 2 storeys and attic;
3-5-2-5-3 bays. Moulded plinth, rusticated alternating quoins, moulded string
courses and cornice. Symmetrical front. Centre projects by 2 bays. Large
classical portal has moulded round arch with console keystone and moulded
imposts. Paired Ionic half-columns and entablature with pulvinated frieze, and
open pediment containing elaborate cartouche of arms with garlands.
Deeply-recessed double-leaf fielded 6-panelled doors and overlight with many
glazing bars. Recessed cavetto-moulded leaded cross windows with eared and
shouldered architraves and brick flat arches throughout. Painted sundial between
first first floor windows has patterned surround and inscription 'LIFE'S BUT A
WALKING SHADOW'. Slightly-projecting cross-wings have ashlar doorways with
moulded round arch and keystone, sunk spandrels with hemispheres, and broken
pediment with ball finials, and moulded and fielded 8-panelled doors. First
floor windows throughout have blind upper lights; some blind windows. Shaped
gables to centre and wings have moulded kneelers, ball finials and windows with
cornices. Centre has clock in diagonally-set painted moulded frame. 3-bay return
sides. Left side has fielded 4-panelled and 6-panelled doors with large stone
lintels. Rear is irregular, with some C19 additions and alterations. In 1674 Sir
Christopher Wren was paid for 2 drawings for the portal, but they were not used.
Interior not inspected. Wall of Flemish garden wall bond brick with stone
coping. Sandstone ashlar gatepier has moulded plinth and cornice, and ball
finial with fillet.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol. IV, p174; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p68; G.C.
Tyack: Country House Building in Warwickshire, 1500-1914, p199; Gordon Nares:
Arbury Hall, Warwickshire I: Country Life, 8 October, 1953, pp1126-1127)
Listing NGR: SP3346489326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings