This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0363 / 55°2'10"N
Longitude: -1.4317 / 1°25'54"W
OS Eastings: 436418
OS Northings: 571461
OS Grid: NZ364714
Mapcode National: GBR LBF6.VD
Mapcode Global: WHD4K.ZNDX
Entry Name: Cliff House
Listing Date: 23 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303388
Location: North Tyneside, NE30
County: North Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Cullercoats
Built-Up Area: Tynemouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Cullercoats St George
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 37 SE
(East, off), Cullercoats
House, and attached former cottage. Circa 1768 with early C19 alterations, restored late C20. Painted render with plinth and quoins, pantiled roof with flat stone gable copings. Painted brick chimney at right, painted rendered at left. Irregular plan. Main sea front: 2 storeys, 5 windows all sashes with glazing bars; sill bands; one-bay left wing has double door in pantiled lean-to porch under tripartite sash. Right entrance front of 2 storeys, 3 windows and extension of one storey and attic, one bay, has central 6-panel door in flat classical doorcase; sash windows with projecting stone sills and glazing bars. INTERIOR, has some original C18 features and much early C19 alteration. Entrance hall has an C18 fire-surround with later mirrored overmantel, C18 cupboards and coving. Former customs office to right has original cupboards and strong room with early C19 marble fireplace. Main reception room has shuttered windows, boarded dado panelling and another marble fireplace. Beyond smaller room has C18 dentilated coving, boarded panelling and C18 shutters to windows. Former courtyard now contains fine large early C19 staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail, the upper floor doors have fine door surrounds with fluting and patera. Main upper room has C18 shutters and later alcoves. Small room over hall has C18 fire-surround and cupboards. Panelled room has C18 doors and fireplace with C19 overmantel and panelling. Back staircase has stick balusters and moulded handrail. Former rear yard now enclosed first-floor grotto or aviary. Cellar has iron-barred cell, possibly bonded store, with neck manacles attached. Historical note: bought in 1846 by Robert Arkwright, son of Sir Richard, for his wife who was daughter of the actor Stephen Kemble. Source: W.W. Tomlinson, Historical Notes on Cullercoats, Whitley and Monkseaton, 1893, pp 19, 117-120.
Listing NGR: NZ3641871461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings