History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables and Walled Garden to Mersham-Le-Hatch

A Grade II Listed Building in Smeeth, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1243 / 51°7'27"N

Longitude: 0.9438 / 0°56'37"E

OS Eastings: 606093

OS Northings: 140238

OS Grid: TR060402

Mapcode National: GBR SYH.KDC

Mapcode Global: VHKKP.9ZSZ

Entry Name: Stables and Walled Garden to Mersham-Le-Hatch

Listing Date: 10 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181708

Location: Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Smeeth

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Smeeth

Listing Text

TR 04 SE SMEETH HYTHE ROAD
(north side)
1/122 Stables and
walled garden
to Mersham-Le-
Hatch
GV II
Stables, now classrooms and walled garden. Dated 1825 for Sir Edward
Knatchbull. Main stable courtyard of ragstone with brick dressings
and of brick with plain tiled roof. Entry tower with plinth and
cornice to pyramidal roof, with Arms cartouche over moulded semi-
circular carriage arch on imposts, with cornice keystone with carved
horse's head, and flanked by ornately scrolled and enriched cast iron
lamp brackets with curved twisted stems. The horse head keystone is
repeated on interior face. Boarded doors and casement windows along
outer wall. Inner courtyard with 2 storey range opposite entrance, of
brick, with stacks at end left and end right, with central tented
cupola with clock dated 1825. Glazing bar sashes on 1st floor, and
open glass-roofed pentice on ground floor, which is almost entirely
faced with row of carriage doors. Single storey ragstone wings with
glazing bar sashes and boarded doors. The whole complex used as
classrooms and workshops for the Caldecott Community School which,
occupies Mersham-Le-Hatch. To the east of the stables are walled
courtyards with single storey outbuildings, some of earlier origin
than the stable ranges and a large walled garden to the south of red
brick, about 100 yards by 100 (not a true rectangle).


Listing NGR: TR0738339508

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.