History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Meadows meadows

A Grade II Listed Building in Smeeth, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1184 / 51°7'6"N

Longitude: 0.9607 / 0°57'38"E

OS Eastings: 607301

OS Northings: 139630

OS Grid: TR073396

Mapcode National: GBR SYJ.X97

Mapcode Global: VHKKW.L4QY

Entry Name: Lower Meadows meadows

Listing Date: 27 November 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181694

Location: Smeeth, Ashford, Kent, TN25

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Smeeth

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Smeeth

Listing Text

TR 03 NE SMEETH CHURCH ROAD
(east side)
4/108 Meadows and
Lower
27/11/57 Meadows
GV II
House pair, C18, extended early Cl9. Ragstone painted, with brick
dressings, and plain tiled roof, extended with painted brick and
slate roof. Lower Meadows the C18 portion to left, of 2 storeys
with brick dentil eaves cornice to roof hipped to left with stack
to centre. Four glazing bar sashes on 1st floor with half-sized
upper leaves, and 2 tripartite glazing bar sashes with segmental
heads on ground floor, with blocked opening to left and panelled
door to right, the top panel glazed, with segmental head. Rear
elevation with 4 glazing bar sashes on 1st floor, 2 on ground floor
and glazed central door. Meadows, an early C19 extension to right,
of 2, higher storeys, with modillion eaves to double span roof with
stacks to end left and to end right. Regular fenestration of 3
glazing bar sashes on 1st floor and tripartite glazing bar sash to
left, and single glazing bar sash to right on ground floor. Central
door of 6 panels in moulded architrave with semi-circular fanlight,
recessed within pilastered surround. Tall semi-circular headed stair
window to right return, and bay windows to rear with tripartite glazing
bar sashes. Interior: (of Meadows) dog-leg stair with ramped rail and
stick balusters; extensive cellars run under both wings, with blocked,
vaulted passage to adjacent church. The older wing reported to have
earlier timber framed core, reclad by 1789. Formerly the Rectory.


Listing NGR: TR0731239633

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.