This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0726 / 52°4'21"N
Longitude: -1.4324 / 1°25'56"W
OS Eastings: 438997
OS Northings: 241733
OS Grid: SP389417
Mapcode National: GBR 6RC.4MW
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.452G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244809
Location: Wroxton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Wroxton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wroxton with Balscote
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WROXTON SHUTFORD ROAD
8/252, 9/252 Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Small church. C14 with C19 repairs between 1800-1823 and 1849-50. Extensive
restoration in 1873. Further repairs to the roof, nave and tower in the 1920s.
Coursed, squared ironstone. Chancel has stone slate roof laid to diminishing
courses, stone coped gables and stone lateral stack on north. Chancel, nave with
south aisle and narrow south tower. 5-window range. Decorated and Perpendicular
styles. Chancel has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, a 2-light
Perpendicular window on north and a 3-light Perpendicular window on south. Nave
has 2- and 4-light Perpendicular windows on north flanking a pointed arched
doorway with plank door and dripmould. Two entrances on south including pointed
arched doorway in south tower and priest's doorway to chancel. South aisle has
2-light Perpendicular windows to right of main doorway with square heads and
labels with headstops. Single lancet on left, 2-light Geometrical west window.
Clerestory has four small Decorated style windows. Nave has shallow parapet.
Tower of 3 stages has crenellated parapet with gargoyles and finials.
Single-light lancets with cusped heads and paired lancets to bell-stage.
Interior: chancel and south aisle have Decorated piscinas with crocketed ogee
canopies. 4-bay south arcade has arches of a single chamfered order, wide
chamfered hood moulds and octagonal piers, those opposite the entrance have
carved heads. Nave roof is supported on carved stone corbel heads. Pulpit made
from C16 and C17 continental woodwork panels given by Col. North. C12 tub-shaped
font. New pews and gallery (since removed) in 1823.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p428-9; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX,
Listing NGR: SP3899741733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings