This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5768 / 52°34'36"N
Longitude: -1.5453 / 1°32'43"W
OS Eastings: 430910
OS Northings: 297764
OS Grid: SP309977
Mapcode National: GBR 6K1.D4N
Mapcode Global: WHCHD.7HDD
Entry Name: Old Bank House, Attached Railings, and Attached Coach House and Stable Block
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309148
Location: Atherstone, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Atherstone
Built-Up Area: Atherstone
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Atherstone St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ATHERSTONE LONG STREET
SP3097 (South-west side)
9/60 No. 129 (Old Bank House),
25/03/68 attached railings, and
attached coach house and
House, attached railings and coach house and stable block; part of row. Dated
1711, but front appears to be entirely of c.1775. Flemish bond brick with
rendered dressings and moulded and dentil cornice. Slate roofs; brick ridge
stacks. L-plan, with wings on left to rear. 3 storeys; 1-3-1 bays. Centre
projects very slightly. Fielded 6-panelled door has fanlight with husk garland,
and Doric doorcase of half-columns with fluted capitals, entablature and
pediment. Second and fourth bays have break-front tripartite sashes with thin
Tuscan half-columns and pilasters. First bay has large rusticated rendered
basket arch with flush 6-panelled double doors. Date plaque above is C19/C20.
Fifth bay has early C19 alterations, probably for shop or bank premises.
Panelled wood pilasters and a continuous entablature enclose a flush 6-panelled
door with fanlight set in an overlight, and two 16-pane sashes with reeded wood
surround. First floor has sill course. Sashes, 6-pane to second floor, have
gauged brick flat arches. Central windows have moulded surrounds, shouldered and
with fluted entablature and cornice to first floor. Cast iron railings are
partly late C18/early C19. Coach house and stable block to rear is early C19.
Flemish bond brick with brick dentil cornice. Slate roof. 2 storeys; 7 bays of
varying widths. First bay has plank door with fanlight, second bay has
round-arched window, and has loft door with fanlight above. Third, fourth and
fifth bays, have large, almost round arches. Third bay has double doors. The
others are blank, with a segmental-arched plank door to the fourth bay, and a
later opening inserted in the fifth. Narrow sixth bay has round arched opening,
with plank door; similar seventh bay is blocked. First floor has rendered blind
circular openings. End wall has similar blind opening. Pedimented gable has
blind lunette. Interiors not inspected.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p77)
Listing NGR: SP3091097764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings