This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2832 / 52°16'59"N
Longitude: -1.5804 / 1°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 428719
OS Northings: 265090
OS Grid: SP287650
Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.WST
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.KWC2
Entry Name: St John's House
Listing Date: 19 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307604
Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Built-Up Area: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 ST JOHN'S
Saint John's House
SP 2865 SE 4/194
One of the most important buildings in Warwick. Present front, circa 1666,
is considered a very good example of the period. 2 storey plus attic,
andstone building five bays wide Identical geometrical gable heads to
centre and end bays, between which are triangular gable heads, nearly all
with finials intact and each having a 2-light mullioned stone window.
Central 2 storey projecting porch with semi-circular-headed rusticated
entrance and four-light transomed and mullioned window over. End bays
have wide, 2 storey splayed bay windows; these have ornamental carved balustrades
of pierced stonework typical of the period. Between projecting bays are
6-light stone windows of similar character. All have leaded lights with
rectangular panes, some being of old glass. Half 4 plan with lower gabled
back wings, old tiled roofs. Good interior features include original newel
close string staircases, early chimneypieces, late C17 panelling. On the
site and perhaps incorporating structure of the medieval Hospital of Saint
John the Baptist, founded by Henry de Newburg, Earl of Warwick, in the
reign of Henry II. Some timber framework exposed on the back elevation
suggests a refacing and remodelling circa 1666 of the front range. The
east back wing is dated 1626 with initials AS (for the owner Anthony Stoughton
?). The west back wing appears to have been built circa 1666.
VCH, viii, pp. 427, 444.
St John's House, Entrance Gateway and Boundary Walls form a group
Listing NGR: SP2871965090
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings