This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.072 / 52°4'19"N
Longitude: -1.429 / 1°25'44"W
OS Eastings: 439235
OS Northings: 241665
OS Grid: SP392416
Mapcode National: GBR 6RC.5JT
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.55XY
Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244790
Location: Wroxton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Wroxton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wroxton with Balscote
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WROXTON MANOR FARM LANE
9/233 Priory Farmhouse
Farmhouse now house. C14 hall house extended c.1500 by a new service bay,
separated from the hall by a through-passage. Hall ceiled over in C17 and north
wall rebuilt. Fireplace in hall and staircase added in service bay. C18
alterations and additions to the service bay included introduction of first
floor, new butt purlin roof, bolection moulded fireplaces and sash windows.
Squared, coursed ironstone. Ashlar on south wall above hall window. Main front.
C14 original hall house on right has C20 wood shingle roof. C15 part on left has
steeply pitched C20-tile roof. 2 stone end stacks. Hall house, now 2-unit
through- passage plan. 2 storeys. 3-window range altogether. Entrance into C15
part on left has a doorway with a 4-centred arched head with hood mould and
lozenge shaped label stops. Spandrels with quatrefoil decoration. Badly
weathered heavy plank door secured internally by oak drawbar. To left of doorway
a 2-light flat-splay stone mullion with hood mould and label stops. Above the
doorway a 3-light wood mullioned window with metal casements with wrought-iron
casement fasteners and lead cames. Staircase projection on far left. C14 part on
right has 3- and 4-light flat splay stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and
label stops. First floor has 2- and 4-light casement windows with wood lintels.
2 small blocked stone framed attic windows. Rear. Window to original hall has a
renewed C14/early C15 four-light stone mullioned great window with curvilinear
tracery in head. 4-light casement on right. C20 window to first floor. Right
part. C18 doorway with overlight and C20 door. 2 sash windows on right, 3 sashes
to first floor, all with stone flat arches. Interior. Original plan of hall,
through passage and service survives. Hall. l7'x19'. Walls averaging 2'6" in
thickness. Wide stone fireplace with bressumer. Stop-chamfered beam. Raised
cruck roof with collars and upper collars, within C20 roof above C14 part.
Service bay, now parlour, has C18 bolection moulded stone fireplace, moulded
stone dado, plank door with H-L hinge. Panelled shutters with wrought-iron
fasteners. First floor has plank and 2-panelled doors. C20 staircase. An
important example retaining medieval precedents for regional style and building
practice which became prevalent in the C16 and C17. Probably built by Wroxton
Abbey in connection with its possessions at Balscott.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p173-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974,
p428; Wood-Jones, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963,
p42-9; Figs. 8 and 9; P1 3a and 7b. Photographs in N.M.R.)
Listing NGR: SP3923541665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings