This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1351 / 52°8'6"N
Longitude: -1.4321 / 1°25'55"W
OS Eastings: 438968
OS Northings: 248679
OS Grid: SP389486
Mapcode National: GBR 6QL.4RN
Mapcode Global: VHBYC.4L8M
Entry Name: Arlescote House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 8 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306286
Location: Warmington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Warmington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warmington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
3/175 Arlescote House
07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Arlescote
House. Late C17, with mid C18 wing and alterations, and late C19/early C20
alterations. Regular coursed, almost ashlar, ironstone. Concrete tile hipped
roofs have painted moulded-wood eaves cornice; stone ridge stacks with C19
square ashlar shafts. H-plan with later additions to rear and wing to left.
Symmetrical front. 2 storeys and attic: 7-window range. 3-bay recessed centre.
Entrance has moulded architrave and scrolled pediment; late C19/early C20
half-glazed panelled door with glazing bars. 3-light and central 2-light
stone-mullioned and transomed windows, possibly renewed, with hood moulds. Wings
have sashes in mid C18 moulded stone architaves. Hipped 2-light leaded casement
roof dormers, 2 to centre, one to wings. Irregularly placed stacks. Narrow
recessed linking block to left wing has half-glazed 4-panelled door. Wing has 2
pairs of leaded cross windows; stone lintels with keystones. Left return side
has internal stack. Right return side of main block is 3-window range. Now main
entrance front. Late C19/early C20 porch, to right of centre, has buttresses
flush with front, coped gable parapet and kneelers with ball finials. Chamfered
4-centred archway has sunk spandrels with raised-circles. Inside, Tudor-arched
ribbed door with hood mould. Mullioned and transomed windows with hood moulds,
3-light to left, 2-light to right. Rear irregular, with mullioned and transomed
windows. Interior: former entrance hall has moulded cross beams. The large ovolo
moulded 4-centred arched fireplace and C17 style panelling are late C19/early
C20. Dog leg staircase with winders opens off hall to left of fireplace.
Substantial turned balusters and moulded handrail; gate on landing, possibly
contemporary, has shaped splat balusters and H-hinges. Room to right has good
early C18 bolection panelling and stone bolection fireplace. Fielded 5-panelled
doors to several rooms. Dining room to rear has C18 style fireplace with eared
architrave and dentil cornice. Bedroom has some painted fielded panelling and
wood bolection fireplace. First floor has 2-panelled and 8-panelled doors.
Winder attic stairs.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.72; Country Life,
Vol. CII, 5th September 1947).
Listing NGR: SP3896848679
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings