This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.431 / 51°25'51"N
Longitude: -0.1795 / 0°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 526650
OS Northings: 171795
OS Grid: TQ266717
Mapcode National: GBR D8.MF6
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.T9YB
Entry Name: Smallwood Junior and Infants School
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207139
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Tooting
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Summerstown St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 2671 17/3
SMALLWOOD ROAD SW17
Smallwood Junior and Infants School
Built 1898 by The London School Board as Smallwood Road Schools (Schools Architect: T J Bailey) and enlarged 1908 by The LCC according to attached plaques. The symmetrical elevation to Hazelhurst Road is composed of an advanced 3-storey centre 5-bays wide flanked by 6-storey towers. These and lower 4-storey linking ranges of 4-bays are framed by the advanced 3-bay wide gable ends of tall 3-storey end pavilions. The building is of yellow stocks with stone and red brick dressings and tile roofs. The towers have copper caps. On the central block piers rising to the parapet articulate the tiers of windows. A moulded band breaks round these between first and second floors. The second floor windows have cambered arches and the steep-pitched roof carries miniature dormers with spirelets. The towers have paired windows, those on the third and fourth floors recessed in a cambered arch, those on the fifth floor with round-arched heads repeated as blind windows on the exposed return. The square caps of ogival section support balustrades. From these rise slender domed lanterns with spirelets. On the linking ranges the third floor windows have cambered heads and the parapets are scalloped. The end pavilions are articulated in a manner similar to the central block but with most openings blind. The smaller building to the north-east and the school-keeper's lodge in the east angle are in concordant style and materials.
Listing NGR: TQ2665071795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings