This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2336 / 51°14'0"N
Longitude: -1.7903 / 1°47'24"W
OS Eastings: 414739
OS Northings: 148285
OS Grid: SU147482
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z9.Q5K
Mapcode Global: VHB54.X8F5
Entry Name: Netheravon House
Listing Date: 3 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311052
Location: Netheravon, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Netheravon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Netheravon All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 14 NW -
9/101 Netheravon House
Large villa and hunting box, now officer's mess for Support Weapons
Training Wing. After 1734, for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort,
on the site of a Roman villa. Extended 1791 by John Soane for M.
Hector Beach. Brick with tiled roofs. Three storeys and cellar, 5
x 3 bays, double pile plan with entrance hall and stair flanked by
main reception rooms on south front. Central door with Ionic
portico, glazed at sides. Twelve-pane sashes with gauged brick
heads and raised stone keys. Stone plat band between ground and
first floors. Stone cornice and brick parapet. Six-panelled door
in eared architrave. Sun fire mark No 655933. 1791 extension at
rear, 3 bays, 3 storeys with single storey side rooms, extended
upwards early C20. Some windows false. Sinuous Tuscan colonnade
with rooms at back leads from house to stables (q.v.).
Interior: Large entrance hall has very fine dogleg stair with 3
turned balusters to each tread. Flanking rooms fully panelled with
chair-rail and good plaster cornices, the muntins raised above the
panels. Fireplaces replaced c1930's. North east room has cornice
only, and inlaid marble fireplace. First floor rooms on south
front also panelled with cornices. Soane's addition contains
secondary stair, plain, and one room to each floor, now mess room
on ground floor. Servants' quarters in attics boarded. The house
was built for coursing and hawking, and the grounds were laid out
by Thomas Wright and published in Universal Architecture in 1755
Listing NGR: SU1473948285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings