History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Borough Treasurer's Department

A Grade II Listed Building in Tynemouth, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0091 / 55°0'32"N

Longitude: -1.4438 / 1°26'37"W

OS Eastings: 435668

OS Northings: 568421

OS Grid: NZ356684

Mapcode National: GBR LBCJ.65

Mapcode Global: WHD4R.SCN9

Entry Name: Borough Treasurer's Department

Listing Date: 19 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1299964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303330

Location: North Tyneside, NE30

County: North Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Tynemouth

Built-Up Area: Tynemouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Tynemouth

Listing Text

TYNEMOUTH HOWARD STREET (east side)
NZ 3568 SE
North Shields
14/85 Borough Treasurer's
Department.
G.V. II
Nonconformist church, now Borough offices. 1856-57 by Green for United Free
Methodists. Sandstone ashlar front, rubble left return; Welsh slate roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays, gabled front. 3 full-height arched panels contain double
doors under fanlights in recessed keyed arches flanking central square-headed
tripartite sash with bracketed sill and raised keyed surround. Similar
treatment to round-headed first floor sashes, the central tripartite. Corniced
coped gable with blocks at feet. Banded ashlar chimney at apex. Historical note:
built for the Free Methodist Church, formed in North Shields in 1850 by the
Wesleyan Association, the Protestant Methodists and the Armenian Methodists.
Source: H.E. Craster, History of Northumberland vol. VIII 1907, p.376.
Hetton-le-Hole Primitive Methodist Chapel, dated 1858, bears a strong
resemblance to this building.


Listing NGR: NZ3566868421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.