History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Ruins Approximately 15 Metres South of Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beausale, Haseley, Honiley and Wroxall, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3339 / 52°20'2"N

Longitude: -1.676 / 1°40'33"W

OS Eastings: 422171

OS Northings: 270698

OS Grid: SP221706

Mapcode National: GBR 5LF.P2L

Mapcode Global: VHBX7.WLTN

Entry Name: Abbey Ruins Approximately 15 Metres South of Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Last Amended: 16 February 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308396

Location: Beausale, Haseley, Honiley and Wroxall, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Beausale, Haseley, Honiley and

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Honiley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Wroxall

Listing Text

WROXALL A41
SP2270 (South-west side)
8/130 Abbey Ruins approx. 15m S of
11/04/67 Church of Saint Leonard
(Formerly listed as Remains of
Wroxall Priory in grounds of
Wroxall Abbey (house))
GV II*
Part of Abbey building, now ruin. Probably early C12, with alterations, c.1866
for James Dugdale. Squared coursed stone, with some C19 brick. Irregular plan,
with rectangular portion to East end. Single-storey range. Segmental pointed
doors opposing to East End. History: abbey founded as a priory for Benedictine
nuns c.1135. Part of this ruin is thought to be the former priory frater, with a
screens passage to the End end, but it may have been altered c.1866 when James
Dugdale built a new Wroxall Abbey house, now Wroxall Abbey School main building
(q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: 1966, pp483-484; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol.3:
1945, pp215-216)
[ 131]


Listing NGR: SP2217070700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.