History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Premises Occupied by Texere Yarns and La Parsons and Company Limited (College Mill)

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7961 / 53°47'45"N

Longitude: -1.7451 / 1°44'42"W

OS Eastings: 416887

OS Northings: 433340

OS Grid: SE168333

Mapcode National: GBR JLJ.SR

Mapcode Global: WHC99.5V86

Entry Name: Premises Occupied by Texere Yarns and La Parsons and Company Limited (College Mill)

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336106

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 BARKEREND ROAD BD3

Premises occupied by Texere Yarns

and L A Parsons and Co Ltd

(College Mill)
SE 1633 SE 37/248

II


2.
Former chapel of Airedale College, architect J P Pritchett 1839. Corner site with
Upper Park Gate. The body has been rebuilt this century for commercial use. However
the front to Upper Park Gate remains virtually intact. This elevation, set on a
shallow convex curve and originally symmetrical with one main door flanking bays,
the left hand one demolished, is built of fine quality ashlar and has Greek Revival
details. Two-storeys and blind attic, raised on tall basement storey with shallow
horizontal channelling. The main, curved, part of the front consists of 3 broad
window bays articulated through the 2 main floors by Giant Doric pilasters rising
from deep plat band over basement. Deep frieze and projecting cornice; the blind
attic has 3 panels and cornice surmounted in centre by a solid plain pediment with
antefixae. The former windows of the centre bay have been altered to warehouse
hatches. The flanking main floor windows have architrave surrounds with cornices.
Plain square window openings to upper floor with marginal glazing. The surviving
flat fronted one window bay to right hand, also has giant pilasters and the main
entablature is carried over but without the blind attic; the cornice is surmounted
by a similar pediment. Same window type. Pilastered, corniced doorway in basement.
Prominent hillside site.


Listing NGR: SE1688733340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.