History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vastern House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5317 / 51°31'54"N

Longitude: -1.93 / 1°55'47"W

OS Eastings: 404953

OS Northings: 181421

OS Grid: SU049814

Mapcode National: GBR 3T3.YPG

Mapcode Global: VHB3J.HRKP

Entry Name: Vastern House

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300114

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316852

Location: Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Royal Wootton Bassett

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton Bassett St Bartholomew and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Royal Wootton Bassett

Listing Text

SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT VASTERN

5/176 Vastern House


II*

House, C15 core, C17 and C18. Stone, with stone slate roofs. C20 extensions
rendered with slate roof. 2-bay core structure extended axially by 1 bay at higher
level. Smaller forward (south-west) addition on right with cellar under, and rear
extension by 1 bay. Later accretions at rear. Major stacks axially to core
building and on rear wall. Stone and timber mullioned and transomed windows, much
restored later C19. C16 stone entrance doorcase and C19 door. Forward wing has
C15 4-centred moulded door and single light window from Bewick Bassett Manor House,
installed late C19 by Sir Henry Meux. Elsewhere stone ovolo-mullioned windows with
leaded glazing and C17 iron casements.
Internally: Crossed moulded ceiling beams with foliated boss, C15, to major reception
room and C16 stone fireplace with carved overmantle and arms of Englefield, owners of
manor -1585 and 1587 - 1631. Panelling of late C17 and early C18 in would west exten-
sion. C17 double purlin roof.
Building probably a fragment of the gatehouse of the primary manor of parish,
commenced c C13, repaired for Queen Isabel 1355 and owned by royalty to Katherine Parr
(Reference: VCH Wilts Vol. Iv 402-4.)


Listing NGR: SU0531081591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.