This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0337 / 52°2'1"N
Longitude: -1.4811 / 1°28'52"W
OS Eastings: 435690
OS Northings: 237376
OS Grid: SP356373
Mapcode National: GBR 6RP.JB9
Mapcode Global: VHBYX.84VV
Entry Name: Sibford School
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 20 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244699
Location: Sibford Ferris, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Sibford Ferris
Built-Up Area: Sibford Ferris
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sibford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SIBFORD FERRIS MAIN STREET
16/143 Sibford School
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as School of
the Society of Friends)
Manor house now school. C17 remodelled C18. Extended in C19. Rear: regular
coursed ironstone rubble. Front: ironstone ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Rendered
brick ridge stacks. 3-unit plan extended by the addition of a C19 unit to right
and front range forming a double-depth plan. 3 storeys plus attic. 5-window
range with further C19 two-window addition on right. Entrance off-centre to left
has a tall 6-panelled door in a moulded stone architrave with keyblock head.
Flat hood on brackets. 2 semi-circular stone steps and a bootscraper. Entrance
is flanked by tall C18 sashes with architrave surrounds and keyblock heads.
First floor has 5 similar windows. 1:3:1 bays. Second floor has 4 renewed
2-light casements with keystoned stone lintels. Single pedimented roof dormer.
Stone parapet. 2-storeys 2-window C19 extension on right. 2 sash windows with
keyblock heads on both ground and first floors. Flat bands to first and second
floors. Glazing bars throughout. Rear has a 3-light stone mullioned window with
hood mould and label stop. Interior: hall has a substantial stop-chamfered beam,
C19 floor tiles and mostly C18 open well staircase. Room to left has C18
panelling. Music room to right has C18 alcove. First floor room on left has
dado, windows with seats, shutters and panelled reveals. The Society of Friends
established a school here in 1842.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p766; VCH: 0xfordshire: Vol X, p229)
Listing NGR: SP3569037376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings