History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Birinus

A Grade II Listed Building in Redlynch, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9887 / 50°59'19"N

Longitude: -1.7183 / 1°43'6"W

OS Eastings: 419865

OS Northings: 121072

OS Grid: SU198210

Mapcode National: GBR 529.Y3H

Mapcode Global: FRA 769H.LD3

Entry Name: Church of St Birinus

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300201

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319752

Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Redlynch

Built-Up Area: Morgan's Vale

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Morgan's Vale St Birinus

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Redlynch

Listing Text

REDLYNCH MORGANS VALE ROAD
SU 12 SE
(west side)
4/218 Church of St. Birinus

II

Anglican parish church. 1894 by C.E. Ponting. Brick, various
bonds, tiled roof. Arts and Crafts Free Gothic. Nave, chancel,
north organ chamber and vestry, south west porch, west tower.
Timber-framed porch on brick plinth to left of south side, nave to
right has four round-arched Perpendicular-style 4-light windows
recessed in brick arches, buttresses between are carried up to
gablets, buttress to right has hipped gablet with niche and statue
of St. Birinus. South side of chancel has two round-arched 3-light
Perpendicular style windows in brick arches. East window has
segmental-arched 5-light window with reticulated tracery with
transoms, ogee hoodmould, deep gable. North side has organ chamber
under catslide roof, loop-hole windows. North side of nave has
four 4-light windows as to south side. Vestry to right has gabled
roof, 3-light leaded fixed window. West tower is timber-framed
with 5-light wooden mullioned and transomed window, coved eaves
cornice with carved wooden brackets to wooden eaves with carved
rosettes and date 1894, shingled pyramidal roof with louvred
bellstage.
Interior; double wooden doors in segmental brick arches with gauged
brick cornices and pilasters facing across west end of nave, to
porch and vestry. Nave has barrel-vaulted roof with rib panelling.
Fielded panelling to walls up to sill level. Segmental brick arch
to tower from nave. Chancel has barrel-vaulted ceiling with more
elaborate rib panelling than nave. Brick arched piscina on south
side of nave. Limestone reredos. Cylindrical stone font at west
end of nave. Fine Arts and Crafts stained glass in east window
depicting the life of Christ, in memory of the Ferryman family
c1900, glass in north window of nave to Robinsons of Redlynch House
c1900; both windows unsigned. Built as a chapel of ease to Church
of St. Lawrence, Downton. It cost £2200 to build. (N. Pevsner,
The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975; Kelly's Directory,
Wiltshire, 1907).


Listing NGR: SU1986521072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.