This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5418 / 51°32'30"N
Longitude: -1.9042 / 1°54'15"W
OS Eastings: 406737
OS Northings: 182543
OS Grid: SU067825
Mapcode National: GBR 3T4.CCH
Mapcode Global: VHB3J.YH5Y
Entry Name: Mr Bevirs's Office
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316832
Location: Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Royal Wootton Bassett
Built-Up Area: Wootton Bassett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton Bassett St Bartholomew and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET
(south east side)
No. 141 (Mr Bevirs's Office)
House, now offices. 1700/03 for James Long, solicitor. Ashlar
limestone, tiled roof with 2 hipped dormers. 2 storey with
cellar and attic. 3 structural bays, 2 gable stacks to rear.
Central stair hall with flanking reception rooms and lower rear
service rooms. Stone rear wing on left.
Facade: 7 window bays, 3 centre broken forward with rounded gable.
Even quoins and panelled parapet. Central door up 2 steps, shell
canopy on consoles, 6-panelled door. Windows tall 8-pane sashes
with old glass in moulded architraves and flat cornices. Bolection
moulded architraves to door and side wings with pulvinus and
cornices. Central first floor window with round head and archivolt
with abaci and key; similar window to attic above within
semicircular gable. Lead rainwater pipes. Brick rear facade with
C20 timber windows.
Interior: Square hall with good well stair towards rear, having
alternating turned and tightly twisted balusters. Secondary stair
in rear of left space also 1700 with heavy handrail and turned
balusters. Full fielded oak panelling to front ground floor rooms
and upper left room, all with panelled window reveals. Panelled
doors and brass hinges. Early C19 marble fireplaces. Section
similar panelling to entrance hall, and shutters. Upper floor
right room with painted panelling to rear wall only.
Building was once Capital and County Bank.
Listing NGR: SU0673782543
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings