This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3644 / 51°21'51"N
Longitude: -1.5281 / 1°31'41"W
OS Eastings: 432948
OS Northings: 162924
OS Grid: SU329629
Mapcode National: GBR 70R.JG9
Mapcode Global: VHC1Z.GYHX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310838
Location: Ham, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Ham
Built-Up Area: Ham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
HAM CHURCH ROAD
SU 36 SW
6/l13 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, 1733-C1740 and 1849. Various stones and
Corallian rag dressings, flint and pebbledashing. Tiled roof. Nave, chancel
and west tower possibly Romanesque in origin and C18 north porch. Lancet
windows to nave, chancel and tower, but latter with 2-light windows to west.
South side of nave rebuilt 1849, and 2 Romanesque revival windows and
contemporary vestry to chancel. Three-stage tower, now mostly, C14 repaired
and refaced C18; pebbledashed with 1 offset and angle buttresses. Crenellated
parapet. C18 dormer windows at west end of nave lighting gallery.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays with probably C18 cambered ties and wavy queen struts,
ceiled at collar leve, probably C16. Raked west gallery of C18 with baluster
rail and 3 text panels on face. Chancel has low pitched roof and raised east
end. Fittings: Communion rail, C18 oak with turned balusters. Pulpit 1849.
Font of limestone octagonal bowl with painted C18 cover. C18 low box pews and
slightly raised manrial pew. Choir stalls of 1849. Painted piscina. Oak
bell frame of 1633 in tower. Monuments: Chancel: Wall monument, 1719, white
marble, to Rev RICHARD GILLINGHAM, inscribed panel with elaborate curtaining
and putti,urn above and arms below. Tablet, 1843, black and white marble, to
Rev. SUMNER SMITH, by Bussel of Gloster. Nave: Wooden wall aedicule; of 1590
to JOHN HUNT, Yeoman. Broken pediment with urn over marbled wood columns.
Purbeck slab with inset brass of 2 kneeling figures and inscription. Some C19
and C20 wall brasses and tablets. (Reference: Church guide (undated).
Betjeman: English Country Churches.)
Listing NGR: SU3294662924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings