History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Semley School and Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0409 / 51°2'27"N

Longitude: -2.1555 / 2°9'19"W

OS Eastings: 389192

OS Northings: 126853

OS Grid: ST891268

Mapcode National: GBR 1X5.MVS

Mapcode Global: FRA 66CC.J1P

Entry Name: Semley School and Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320979

Location: Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sedgehill and Semley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Semley St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Sedghill

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/07/2016

ST 82 NE
3/189

SEMLEY
SEMLEY VILLAGE (south side)
Semley School and Schoolhouse

GV
II
Primary school and schoolhouse. 1866, probably by T.H. Wyatt. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs with coped verges, stone and brick stacks. Single storey schoolrooms either side of central schoolhouse; gable-end to road. Schoolhouse has 4-panelled door and 3-light plain chamfered mullioned casement to ground floor, attic with two 2-light chamfered mullioned casements, all with hoodmoulds, gable with datestone and trefoil over, apex with bellcote. Right return of house has lateral stack with offsets, attached single-storey boiler room links house with schoolroom to right. Schoolroom to right has two 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements; no hoodmoulds, right return has truncated external stack and two 2-light mullioned casements. Schoolroom to left linked to house by flat-roofed porch with double doors, two 4-light double cyma-moulded mullioned casements, left return has flat-roofed extension. Rear has flat-roofed C20 extensions, not visible from front.
Interior has inserted flat ceilings, glazed. C20 partitions.

Good, little altered example of village church school; good grouping of units with each other and with adjacent Church of St Leonard (q.v).

Listing NGR: ST8919226853

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.